mother-scratcher

Friday, October 21, 2005

Sac à dos! Sac à dos!

That's what Dora L'Exploratrice sings when it's time to open her backpack.

Yes, we watched Dora in France. The French version is bilingual in French and English rather than Spanish and English, and we thought it might benefit Cedra. I think my MIL's 46 year old NASA engineer of a boyfriend picked up quite a bit of vocab from Dora, but Cedra couldn't have cared less.

Les Teletubbies, that's another histoire. Yes, I feel your scorn. But I got my hands on eight old VHS tapes of Les Teletubbies from Canadian public television, and thought they'd be fine in moderation. The idea was to watch an episode a few times a week and let her soak up the poetry of the Quebecois twang. The program is so lame/trippy/lame I doubted it would even hold her interest. Forget it, she's obsessed. We limit her weekly Teletubbie time, and she spends a lot of the rest of the time carrying the VHS cases around the house muttering "Cou-cou! La-La!"

So anyway, my pretty asian-print diaper bag has stood up to the last 17 months about as well as I have. I'd been planning to graduate to some kind of toddler bag for awhile, but the perfect specimen had failed to present itself. That is, until I walked through the dollar store on 16th and Mission, the one behind the Walgreens. There, for a mere buck, I found this perfect and probably perfectly illegally imported kid-sized sac à dos, sac à dos featuring Tinky Winky, Dipsy...a convertible Volkswagen, and a windmill. WTF? We love it.


SacAdos

By the way, if anyone can translate "Tianxian" or "bao bao," please clue us in.

5 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Alisyn said...

That thing is fucking freaky. Score!

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tianxian baobao is what they call teletubbies in China. I'd like to claim that I knew that, but it was the google god. I went to google to check if my theory was right -- I remember that "bao" is involved in the word for backpack, and I thought Tianxian might be a place with a windmill -- but I was wrong, and the right answer popped up right away. Thanks, google.

Check it out: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-31-2002-9865.asp

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and it means antenna babies. that's my favorite part.

Still, though, no explanation for the windmill, the convertible, or the strange hat that resembles one my 10 year-old brother insisted on purchasing when I dragged him to Lillith Fair in 1997. or does the yellow one always wear that?

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Llama_school said...

Wood, many thanks. That was my loose theory as well. I never considered google; I assumed I'd have needed a more expanded vocab in Chinese than my "knee-how-mah." Thanks for the link.

The green one usually wears the Jamiroquai hat, the yellow one (La-La) carries a balloon. But as far as Sabra cares, they're all La-La.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger k said...

The bag ... it is awesome. If I was walking behind you on the street, I would laugh and then tell my husband about it when I got home. Now that's a good bag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home