mother-scratcher

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

This just in...

compliments of zappos.com.

shoes

I don't usually wear Chuck Taylors, I'm just not that cool. Not usually, anyway. There is one exception. And if a fresh new box of sneakers with no arch support is sitting in our living room it can only mean one thing. I'm going to France. We're leaving Sunday. We'll be there 3 weeks. More on what that means to this blog in another post.

I would like to take a moment to admit that the above photo was inspired by ParisMOMster's blog (see June 8 entry under "Party of Four.") I also need to admit that I felt terrible yesterday when I stopped working on a draft of this post long enough to refresh my blog, only to find that the MOMster had written a very sweet comment about Cedra. I'd just typed an extended rant about the French and their fashion exigeances. Delete, delete, delete! But it's true that I do feel the need to upgrade my wardrobe every time we go to France.

I wish I were more naturally fashion-forward than I am, and I used to try harder than I do. But since I hooked up with my huz our shared fashion disorder has only become more acute. Compulsive Uniform Disorder, that's what it is. We both dress as if we're in uniform. If we find an item of clothing we like, we buy it in five colors and wear it over and over. That's why I have six pairs of capri pants, about ten knee-length skirts, six vintage 50s housewife dresses, and 10 Johnny-collared shirts. Michael's wardrobe isn't as complicated. 10 pairs of Carhartts, 20 t-shirts from Target, 20 pairs of white tube socks and four and a half million pairs of Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic (could there be a more offensive name?) boxer shorts from when my SIL worked for Gap Co. .... Four years ago.

The Chuck Taylors are kind of a French classic. People have been wearing them for decades. And for the fashion-challenged like myself who can't remember whether I'm supposed to be wearing beaded Pakistani slippers or gold ballerina flats this year, it's nice to have them to fall back on. I used to always try to buy a color of Chucks that isn't marketed in Europe, at one time it was green, another time purple. I got off on having young Francs stop me on the street to say "Ooooh, gym yang tape ass kit! Genie Al!" (okay, that's "J'aime bien tes baskets.") These days all I ask is that people NOT take notice of me. Solution, white Chucks. Couldn't resist getting Cedra's in the impossible to find cocoa brown, though.

6 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY!!! you have to contact me when you're in Paris, ok? and you're so right about the French and their fashion obsession. why did you delete that? I'm the first one to admit our many flaws. but you know what? none of us dress properly. really. and you can bring those slippers or ballerinas here, there are no laws against them!!! email me, ok?

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger CF said...

One of my good friends is from France. I see her everyday and she's so fashionable it almost kills me. I mean how does she walk in those shoes and coordinate the jewelry and scarves and strike the perfect look of I just threw this on, but I look hip and sexy, but not pretentious?

But this post explains so much to me, I could never figure out why she'd always come show me her Chucks when she's wearing them. She even wears a vintage pair that belonged to her mom that she has to wrap with duct tape to keep together and she's so proud of them and manages to always point them out in conversation.

M. and I are like you and your husband, llamaschool, when it comes to clothes. I get excited when I find a fitted t-shirt I like and then I proceed to buy it in five different colors. My fallback clothing scheme is to wear all-black as then I don't have to think about it and it makes me look sassier than I am...and thinner...without much effort (although when I taught high school, the kids said I was an honorary goth...ugh). M.'s into the Carhartt's too--he wears them nearly everyday.

Okay, I should really go to work now. I hope you have a wonderful trip to France.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger CF said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Llama_school said...

A.N.O., I'll bet your friend is proud of those duct-taped shoes. Those would earn her some serious French cred.

About the all-black look, I've had to curb that one a little post-motherhood. Black collects mashed graham cracker sludge and little yogurt handprints. Who knew?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Alisyn said...

Bon Voyage, Llamaschool!

P.S. J'adore les Chucks. I'm sure you can rock 'em hotter than the hottie femmes (especially if you wear them with a '50s housewife dress) anyday!

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 weeks in France? rock on. That little Sabra sure gets around.

for the record, your fashion sounds fantastic to me. Owning multiple colors of the same shirt/skirt/pants just shows that you know what works for you. And I covet 50s housewife dresses, but I'm too chicken to actually buy them or wear them, which makes me very jealous when I see people (probably like you) who pull it off.

have fun! give us pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home