mother-scratcher

Sunday, August 07, 2005

16th and Mission

Among the veritable cornucopia of things that annoy me every time I walk by 16th and Mission is this sign:

Art grant2
Is this the best way to procure an art grant? Are readers of The Onion your best bet for a receptive audience? Well, I guess they probably are.

If art grants are there just for the asking then that may explain why my friend Mike The Librarian, who worked in SF for a government-sponsored center that offered support to those applying for grants, claims to have spent most of his days playing computer games.

Incidently and somewhat ironically, he's now working as a children's librarian in a suburb of Portland and aparently busting ass to an exhausting degree. I've heard him complain about having to entice the sub-adolescents off of the computer games and into the reading groups. It's always nice and schadenfreudique to see one of your good friends punished in a manner akin to a chapter of Dante's Purgatorio.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger Stefania Pomponi Butler aka CityMama said...

I think you live in my old nabe. I lived on Harrison between 17th and 18th. We had a nice view of the Treat St. crack hos. But I miss my taco truck that used to park down the street. I love seeing the pix. If you do live there, I can't believe I never bumped into you at Atlas Cafe or something.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Llama_school said...

City Mama, we've only been in this place since January. We were in the Inner Sunset before then. But yeah, you weren't far. This neighborhood is a mixed bag, IMO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home